Middlesex County Area Transit (MCAT) Shuttle Routes
The Middlesex County Area Transit (MCAT) Shuttle program is a modified fixed route service developed by the Middlesex County Department of Transportation that combines the best features of para transit and fixed route transit to meet the needs of senior citizens, individuals with disabilities and the general public. Similar to para transit services, the MCAT Shuttle routes use minibuses that can wind their way into shopping centers, apartment complexes and medical plazas to provide more of a curb-to-curb service. Like transit, services operate on a fixed schedule and offer passengers greater choice of flexible trip times without advance reservation.
The MCAT Shuttle routes are designed to meet the needs of many transportation dependent persons who are able to access the service. The routes offer a 30 or 60 minute frequency of service, Monday through Saturday, are wheelchair accessible and offer connections to NJ Transit bus and rail services. The result is a service that can operate at a much higher productivity than para transit service and at a reduced subsidy per passenger trip.
There is a suggested fare of $1.00 for the general public and $.50 for persons over 60 and persons with a disability of any age.
The seven MCAT Shuttle routes offer a major expansion of public transit for the residents of Middlesex County:
- M1 New Brunswick- Jamesburg-Exit 8A - The Exit 8A route provides peak period service between New Brunswick and the employment centers located at Exit 8A of the New Jersey Turnpike and offers connections between New Brunswick and Jamesburg during off-peak hours.
- M2 The Brunswick Square Mall- Monroe-Jamesburg - The Brunswick Square Mall route serves a number of adult communities and senior citizen centers as well as connecting Jamesburg, Helmetta and Spotswood Boroughs with destinations in East Brunswick including the Brunswick Square Mall.
- M3 The Brunswick Square Mall-Old Bridge - The route serves major stops at key locations including destinations at shopping centers, medical offices and the Raritan Bay Medical Center (Old Bridge) Passengers using this route and the Brunswick Square Mall-Jamesburg Community Shuttle route can also connect to NJ Transit local bus service at Brunswick Square Mall and the Old Bridge Municipal Complex.
- M5 Jersey Avenue/Brunswick-Commercial Avenue Shuttle -The service operates on a 60 minute frequency between Route 1/ Jersey Ave and the Gerber Apartments (formerly Pincus) in North Brunswick
- M6 Cranbury/Plainsboro/Community Shuttle - The M6 Shuttle provides service between Jamesburg and Princeton Junction Rail Station in West Windsor Township, serving portions of Monroe, Cranbury and Plainsboro Townships. It will serve the new Princeton University Medical Center at Plainsboro medical complex, offering service Monday through Saturday, 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM.
- M7 Brunswick Square Mall/South Amboy - Operates Monday through Friday, from 6:00 AM to 6:30 PM and from 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM on Saturdays. The service operates primarily along Bordentown Avenue and will provide connections to key transit hubs including the Route 9 Ernston Road NJ Transit commuter bus services, the Cheesequake Service Area Academy Bus service on the Garden State Parkway and the South Amboy Rail Station on the North Jersey Coast Line. The M7 offers a 30 minute frequency in the peak periods (6:00-9:00 AM, 4:00-6:30 PM) and a 60 minute frequency during the off-peak period.
Middlesex County Area Transit (MCAT) Shuttle Program Documentary Film (Windows Media Video)
The 15 minute film provides a view of the seven route MCAT shuttle system including interviews with passengers whose lives have been changed by this public bus service. The system complements the NJ Transit local bus system in Middlesex County, providing the first new local bus routes in the County since 1990.
Please refer to the timetables for the MCAT Shuttle routes for more detailed information including route and times of service. Timetables can be obtained at a variety of public and commercial locations and from the Middlesex County Department of Transportation.
Brunswick- Jamesburg-Exit 8A Timetable
Brunswick Square Mall-Monroe-Jamesburg Timetable
Brunswick Square Mall-South River-Old Bridge Timetable
M5 Jersey Ave/Brunswick-Commercial Avenue Shuttle
M5 Shuttle Stop Cards
M6 Cranbury/Plainsboro/Community Shuttle
M7 Brunswick Square Mall/South Amboy
The timetables for
the MCAT Shuttle routes are Adobe Acrobat PDF files, which require a
PDF Viewer available FREE by clicking here: