†††††††††††††††††† †††† Middlesex County Prosecutorís Office

††††††††††††††††††††††† †††††††† 25 Kirkpatrick Street, 3rd Floor, New Brunswick, New Jersey, 08901 (732) 745-3300


††††††††††††††††††††††† †††† *News Release*†††††††††††††††† Date: July 9, 2013








Monroe woman convicted of murder; hindering



Middlesex County Acting Prosecutor Andrew C. Carey announced that a Monroe Township woman was found guilty today of killing her husband and giving police false information during an investigation into the victimís fatal poisoning.


††††††††† A jury sitting in New Brunswick convicted Tianle Li (DOB 4/7/70) of the murder of Xiaoye Wang, a 39-year-old computer software engineer who lived with Li at 26 Stanley Drive in Monroe.


The jury also found Li guilty of hindering her apprehension and prosecution by denying that she accessed the poison that was used to kill her husband. Mr. Wang died on January 26, 2011.


Li, who has remained in custody since her arrest following the homicide, will be sentenced to 30 years to life in prison when she is sentenced in New Brunswick on September 30, 2013 by Superior Court Judge Michael A. Toto.


The jury of six women and six men deliberated for about two hours today before finding Li guilty. Deliberations initially began on July 2, 2013, but one juror was dismissed after citing a financial hardship. An alternate juror was assigned today and Judge Toto ordered the panel to begin deliberations anew.


During a six-week trial, Middlesex County Acting Deputy First Assistant Prosecutor Christie L. Bevacqua and Middlesex County Acting Assistant Prosecutor Allysa Gambarella presented evidence and testimony showing Li administered poison to her husband in Monroe.


††††††††† During the trial an FBI expert testified that a fatal dose of the poison, identified as thallium, was administered the week of January 10, 2011.


††††††††† The prosecution further contended that following the death of Mr. Wang, Li gave false information to police on January 26, 2011 when they were initially assigned to investigate the death.


Li was arrested and charged following the investigation by Lt. Jason Grosser of the Monroe Township Police Department and Investigator Jeffrey Temple of the Middlesex County Prosecutorís Office.


The investigation determined that Li and Mr. Wang, who were in the process of getting a divorce, had been involved in a series of domestic disturbances since April 2009.


It was further determined that Li, who had been employed for 10 years as a chemist at Bristol-Myers Squibb, had obtained the thallium, a highly-toxic metal, and administered a portion of the substance to her husband between November 16, 2010, and January 26, 2011.


After becoming ill with apparent flu-like symptoms, Mr. Wang admitted himself to the University Medical Center at Princeton on January 14, 2011 for treatment.


A series of tests, completed on January 25, 2011, determined that he had been poisoned with thallium. Mr. Wang died at the hospital the following day.


Members of the New Jersey State Police Hazardous Materials Unit and the Middlesex County Hazardous Materials Unit subsequently undertook an extensive investigation at Mr. Wangís home, and concluded that no one else was exposed to thallium.